On the day news surfaced that the Leeds Guide has ceased to trade, I believe it’s time to issue a challenge to the people of the city.
Despite being well into the digital revolution, the city lacks a wide-reaching credible alternative to the nationally-owned media when the citizens need somewhere to turn to for their news and local information.
The national press and other media have their purpose and positive aspects but, with offerings from others being very niche, diminishing, failing to receive attention or closing over recent years, is it time for a locally focused, financed and run publisher to step in and provide the city with a publication (digital, print or otherwise) that provides the audiences that currently have to scavenge around Twitter and Facebook looking for morsels
The challenges, as we see them, are to:
- create new and exciting content about the people and activities within the city
- provide an easy to use (and submit to) listings source
- underpin exciting conversations about what’s going on
- bring together and provide new audiences for the various successful and exciting independent publishing sources in the city
- effectively market itself through other channels
- be interesting and existing to read and use
- become the starting point for a significant part of the city.
So, Leeds – what are your thoughts? Do you think this is something we deserve? Is a ‘gateway’ service needed now – or are we already well served by existing publications and services?